Monday, July 9, 2012

Very emotional day, the first moving truck took my "express shipment." One of those huge wooden crates now holds all of my professional books/gear, the BOB stroller, wagon, my kitchen things, linens, and various clothing and shoes. I was limited to only 1,000 lbs on this "express shipment" which means a very light load. One room typically holds about 1,200 lbs, so I wasn't able to ship any furniture on this shipment.
I also write "express shipment" in parenthesis because it takes an average of 45 days to arrive in Okinawa!  For that reason, I am taking A LOT of luggage on the flights. We can each check 4 bags with this move to Japan.  Yes, I promise to post a photo of all of our checked luggage!!! 
I have spent a lot of time sorting through our things trying to decide what will come to Japan, what will go into storage, and what should find a new home.  I am limited to 4,500 lbs to move to Japan, so my dining table and chairs, hutch, fine china, crystal, serving pieces, and various other pieces of furniture and paintings will be going into storage for at least 3 years.
Mitch and I also spent 2-3 days sorting through things as if we were going through an amicable divorce!  He will be living in Washington, D.C. for at least a year and will take our guest bed, dresser, a couch, chair, bar pieces (with liquor) and the other half of the kitchen things.
I am trying to have a positive attitude, but today was tough. This will be our 7th move in 9 years and I'M SO OVER IT!!!  I know it is an incredible opportunity, but separating Mitch from our family for another year is NOT OK with me. I may offend some reading this, but I will never forgive those involved in the decision to separate us after Mitch spent 19 of the past 26 months deployed.
More tomorrow with the next move!

2 comments:

  1. I am mad for you! How does the Navy expect to retain good officers beyond their commitment when they do things like this? I hope that the next year goes fast for you and Mitch. Good luck and I will definitely follow your blog and FB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen! They are losing offers quickly by doing things like this. My commitment is up in 4 years, I am OUT! I know others that are made enough about our situation that are getting out as well.

    ReplyDelete