Thursday, July 5, 2012

Running for my Sanity

I have always been a "runner" but the "details" have changed over the years. I started as a spinter, running the 100, 200, and 400 meters until my Junior year in college at Samford University when I lost my running scholarship for not breaking 60 seconds in the 400 meter race. Since then, I have taken up long distance running and found it to be a solace from my crazy life!
September 2010, a year after the twins were born, I started running with some friends from work during our lunch break. When Mitch deployed that November, I hired a babysitter, Lindsey Claar Smith to watch Cooper and Mackenzie every Saturday morning so that I could go for a "long run." At first it was just 5 miles, and then slowly I added miles until I completed the Surf City Half Marathon on February 6, 2011 in a time of 1:52. Just a week later I had a wide local excision of Malignant Melanoma on my right lower leg. Determined not to let CANCER get me down, I continued running after the "all clear" from the Dermatologist, Pathologist, and Plastic Surgeon. I completed the Orange County Half Marathon on May 1, 2011 in a time of 1:57.  I continued running, even with Mitch deploying again for 6 months, and have completed 3 additional Half Marathons, all under 2 hour time, as well as the recent Coronado 4th of July 15 K in 1:20.
I also decided to run the San Diego Rock-n-Roll Marathon in a way to say "goodbye" to San Diego. As fortune would have it, my decision marked exactly 10 years from when I ran my last Marathon, the 2002 San Diego Rock-n-Roll Marathon!  Mitch and I ran the one in 2002 and this year he supported me by bringing Cooper and Mackenzie to meet me at 5 different spots during the Marathon. I had the BEST cheering section and I finished in 4:07! 

I look forward to running in Okinawa, Japan and hope I can continue to encourage others to make time for what is important to you. For me, running is "therapeutic" and even though I work full time and have been a geographically single mommy to twins, I make the time to run :)

1 comment:

  1. This was just the inspiration I needed!! I've never been a "runner" but I've been trying. I'm running my first real 5K next Friday. Today I went 26 minutes without stopping...I'm not fast but I can't believe in the last 8 weeks I went from wanting to quit at 1 minute. My big goal is to run a half in New York in May. Thank you for this post. You never stop but you take time for yourself- an important lesson for all moms! So when I think I'm exhausted and can't possibly finish 3.1 miles, I'm going to remind myself of you and your countless half marathons and your big marathons and your big move to Japan. I will continue to make time to run!!! -Jenny

    ReplyDelete